When you’re rucking, having a flag out front is common at events. However, if you can’t fit a 7′ flagpole in your car, then you have a small problem.
We’ve came up with a 7′ flagpole that collapses down into 4 pieces that are no longer than about 28″ in length. You can even slip them in a small carrying case for easy transport.
Everything needed to build your own collapsable flagpole can be found at your local hardware store, with the exception of the Flag Pole Ground Spike and the Ski Pole Bag. (You can purchase those online.)
For this project, you will need:
- 5′ PVC pipe, 3/4″ diameter (x2)
- Keyring with Clasp (x2)
- 3/4″ PVC Slip Cap (x1)
- 3/4″ PVC Threaded Cap (x1)
- 3/4″ PVC Slip Joint (x3)
- 3/4″ Male Adapter (x4)
- 3/4″ Female Adapter (x4)
- PVC Pipe Cement
- Pipe Insulation (optional)
- Flag Pole Ground Spike (optional)
- Ski Pole Bag (optional)
Here are photos of the pieces, above, to give you an idea of what you will need:
We begin by cutting the 3/4″ PVC pipe into 9 pieces. (You’ll have extra pieces left over.)
For the first pipe, we’ll cut it at 2″, 2″, 14.5″, 14.5″, and 11″ (with a leftover piece). The 11″ piece (E) will only be used if you decide to make the ground spike piece, as well.
The second pipe, we will cut at 22″ and 22″. We’ll have a leftover piece, as well.
Here’s a drawing of the cuts, with the individual pieces labeled:
In the diagram of the cuts, you can see the individual pieces are labeled A-G. We’ll refer to these letter labels as we walk through the assembly instructions.
Pole Top (Top Clasp)
- Glue the Slip Cap to the 2″ section (A).
- Slid the Keyring with Clasp over the 2″ section (A).
- Glue a Slip Joint to the 2″ section (A).
- Glue a 14.5″ section (C) to the Slip Joint.
- Glue a Female Adapter to the other end of the pipe section (C).
Pole Top (Bottom Clasp)
- Glue a Female Adapter to the 2″ section (B).
- Slid the Keyring with Clasp over the 2″ section (B).
- Glue a Slip Joint to the 2″ section (B).
- Glue the 14.5″ section (D) to the Slip Joint.
- Glue a Male Adapter to the other end of the pipe section (D).
Pole Bottom (Two Sections)
- Glue a Female Adapter to one end of the first 22″ section (F).
- Glue a Male Adapter to the other end of the first 22″ section (F).
- Glue TWO Male Adapters – one on each end – to both ends of the second 22″ section (G).
- Attach (do not glue) the Screw Cap to one of the Male Adapters glued onto the second section (G).
This should leave you with four pieces of flagpole, which look like this:
- Screw D into C to make the top half of the flagpole.
- Screw F into G to make the bottom half of the flagpole.
- Screw these two sections together to complete the flagpole assembly. Your completed flagpole should be approximately 7 feet tall.
Optional Ground Spike
If you’re planning on planting your flag before or after your ruck, you’ll need a ground spike. Follow these simple steps to create a ground spike that you can screw the flagpole you just made into and let it stand on it’s own…
The first step is to order the Flag Pole Ground Spike. Once you have that in-hand, you can begin.
- Glue a Female Adapter to one end of the 11″ section (E).
- Glue a Slip Joint to the other end of the 11″ section (E).
- Measure and cut a piece of the Pipe Insulation to fit around the exposed 11″ section (E).
- Remove the thumb-screw from the Flag Pole Ground Spike. You won’t be using this.
- Gently and carefully SQUEEZE the assembled section into the Flag Pole Ground Spike. THIS WILL BE A TIGHT FIT! Go slow. It will fit.
- NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE THREADED END UP!
- Additionally: You may want to use a drill press and drill a hole through the Ground Spike and interior PVC pipe. This way you can insert a screw or bolt to keep the inner PVC pipe from spinning when trying to screw or unscrew the flagpole.
To attach the flagpole to the ground spike, simply remove the screw cap from the bottom end of the flagpole (put it in your pocket so you don’t loose it!) and screw the pole into the ground spike!
Your unassembled flagpole fits nicely into a Ski Pole Bag. I’ve also found that a 3×5 GORUCK Flag or an American Flag folded inside a zip-top freezer bag can also be slid into the Ski Pole Bag after the poles are inside.